Thursday, June 21, 2012

bliss food: strawberry almond coconut smoothie

We went strawberry picking at a local u-pick farm. By some miracle a few of these sparkling red strawberries made it into my basket and not directly into my mouth. They're just so good right from the source, juicy and sunny and warm. They aren't nearly a big as those California strawberries available in the supermarket year round, but I can wait until June in New England for these earthy little red-dressed wonders.

I've been adding them to breakfast cereals and yogurt, cooking up batches of freezer jam, and blending them in smoothies.

Here's this summer's favorite strawberry smoothie.



Strawberry Almond Coconut Smoothie

1 cup strawberries
2 roughly chopped dates
a small handful soaked almonds (soaked in water at least 1 hour)
1/2 inch grated ginger
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/2 cup water
1/4 tsp vanilla

Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Sip through a straw. Preferably in the sunshine. Makes one serving.




1 comment:

  1. This sounds really good. I've never had dates but I think we have them in the supermarket here. I'll have to quadruple the recipe to my family and I can enjoy this.

    ReplyDelete